Looking to get away?…How about an Autumn-Mobile trip to Ashland County!
Take a fall road trip to Ashland, Wisconsin, and enjoy the spectacular fall color, waterfalls and Lake Superior. Ashland is the Historic Mural Capital of Wisconsin. independently owned restaurants, mom and pop gift shops and lots of lodging options.
- Wonderful Waterfalls – Copper Falls, Morgan Falls and many others
- Follow the Mural Brick Road – Follow State Hwy 13 North or South, depending on where you start from, and view over 30 murals depicting life in Northern Wisconsin. Ashland was depicted the Historic Mural Capital of Wisconsin in August 2005.
- Beautiful scenic windy roads to cruise by Automobile or Motorcycle
- Wildlife to view – Elk, Deer and Bear
- Fall fishing on the Chequamegon Bay is the most special time of the year. You may catch a smallmouth bass, walleye, big coho, brown trout or northern pike.
- Fishing inland lakes and streams. Stream-fishing the tributaries is a popular fall pastime with the opportunity to catch coho and chinook salmon, as well as rainbow, lake and brown trout.
- Stop and Feed the Fish at the Northern Great Lakes Visitor Centerr for 25 cents.
- Explore and Shop the Quaint Downtowns of Ashland, Butternut, Glidden, Madeline Island and Mellen
- Fill your water bottle with CLEAN, CRISP, FRESH water at the artisan wells in Ashland
- A tunnel under Highway 2 in Ashland with Mosaic Art
- Spectacular Waterfront Trail that you can walk or bike
- Golf – Chequamegon Bay Golf Club. Enjoy some of the area’s most awe-inspiring scenery as you test your skills from any of four sets of tees. This 18-hole championship golf facility is both challenging and enjoyable for golfers of all skill levels.
- Geocaching- equivalent of a modern-day treasure hunt, geocaching takes people to places … to hidden caches
- Lighthouse Celebration: Apostle Island Cruise Celebration presents popular Ultimate Lighthouse Cruise; a non-stop voyage to see five of the eight lighthouses from the comfort of your cruise boat, the Sea Caves & Lighthouses Cruise that passes the Raspberry and Sand Island lights and the mainland sea caves, and the Grand Tour that passes the Raspberry Island lighthouse and the Devils Island lighthouse and sea caves. 715.779.3925 www.apostleisland.com
- Big Bay State Park – Madeline Island
- Fall Color – from the beginning of change to peak Ashland County shines with the beauty of fall colors.
- Red Clay Classic – One of the biggest and most prestigious stock-car racing events of the year. Features four divisions of WISSOTA-sanctioned stock car racing.
- Memorial Medical Center WhistleStop Marathon & Half-Marathon at the peak of fall color change, on an abandoned rail road bed. Our fall marathon offers you spectacular views of the countryside, fall colors, and the most fun- friendly aid stations.
- Casinos to enjoy – Bay River and Legendary Waters
- FYOB (fill your own bottle)! Come to Ashland where you can fill your own bottle with clear, clean, fresh artesian water 24 hours a day! Artesian wells can be found at: Maslowski Beach, on west U.S. Hwy. 2; Prentice Park, just off Turner Road, on the west side of Ashland; Sandbar Restaurant, 2521 West Lake Shore Dr